Medication Assisted Addiction Treatment

My practice is focused on providing Office Based Suboxone Treatment for opioid addiction, and Naltrexone / Campral assisted treatment for alcohol addiction. I am reducing my pain management practice, and no longer accept new patients for chronic pain management.

Shyam A. Jha, MD

I have a part time practice at Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Given my limited resources I accept only certain kind of patients in my practice.

Please review the information on this site before calling me. I have tried to provide the necessary information about my practice, so that you have a fair idea about my limitations, ... and decide whether my practice will meet your needs.

My clinic policies and fee structure have changed since Sept 1, 2014. Please disregard the older information that is contained in the information folder and brochures that you might have obtained from other patients.

I have added medication assisted treatment for alcohol addiction.

I have discontinued my participation with all commercial insurance carriers, and will not be able to file, or assist you in filing any insurance claims. I do not accept patients who have Medicare, or Tenncare.


Medication Assisted Addiction Treatment: Opioid Addiction


I offer an office based therapy to patients who need help with their narcotic/opioid addiction problem. This applies to medications like Lortab, Percocet, Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Opana, Morphine, Methadone, Heroin, and similar drugs. I do not treat other forms of substance abuse, as there are no FDA approved medications for them.

Patients who have an addiction to narcotics/opioids find it very difficult to quit due to uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. For such patients a medication called Buprenorphine (Suboxone/Subutex) is available as a tablet or a film. This medication is placed under the tongue and it effectively prevents symptoms of opioid withdrawal. This is very effective, ... and being a long acting drug ... a single daily dose is sufficient for most patients. Patients are able to carry on this treatment at home. Beyond that, it is up to the patient not to use narcotics again. This medication is gradually reduced by the patient and eventually there is no need for it.

This is a very gentle method, and can be carried out without any disruptions with work or school schedule. It does not require patients to be admitted to a residential facility. This program is not suitable for someone who is not motivated, and does not have the necessary self discipline. I do not prescribe Methadone for addiction treatment.

Another medication Naltrexone is also approved for opioid addiction treatment. This is an opioid blocker. This medication is available as a tablet and is taken as a single daily dose.

This is also available as a once a month injection. I do not prescribe this injection.


Medication Assisted Addiction Treatment: Alcohol Addiction


Alcohol addiction is treated with Naltrexone or Acamprosate (Campral). These drugs are known to reduce craving for alcohol and reduce withdrawal symptoms. Once cravings are controlled patients are better able to modify their behavior with the help of a counselor or behavior therapist.

Patients who have insurance are not accepted in my program, as I am not an approved provider for any insurance and do not have the resources to assist patients in filing their claims or obtaining medications. Patients who have commercial insurance can be accepted if they do not need insurance reimbursement.

I have certification to prescribe Suboxone/Subutex. I am not an addiction treatment specialist, or an addiction treatment facility. My practice only accepts un-insured, self-pay patients, from Murfreesboro and surrounding counties.

The cost of treatment is much lower than what one spends on buying narcotic drugs illegally. The cost of outpatient treatment is much lower than inpatient/residential rehab, ... however this treatment is not appropriate for patients who are not well motivated, and do not have the self discipline to follow the program.


Chronic Pain Management


Fed up. Closed practice. Not accepting any new pain management patients.

How to find a pain management physician?
You should not have to find a pain physician. Talk to your PCP about your pain. Your PCP is the best person to evaluate your pain, and refer you to the appropriate physician.

List of pain management physicians
The state of Tennessee has implemented a new law that went into effect as of January 1, 2012.
Under this law, all pain management clinics need to be registered with the state of Tennessee if they prescribe pain medications, or, other controlled substances for chronic pain .

There is no restriction on your PCP/Surgeon, ... they can treat acute pain, and prescribe pain medications for short periods.  For chronic pain you may have to enroll with a pain management clinic.

Tennessee is not alone in implementing these rules.  Many states where opioid usage/opioid addiction is above average, have implemented similar requirements.

Tennessee State Govt provides a list of registered pain clinics (No phone numbers, only addresses):
Certified Pain Management Clinics

If you are interested then you can read the essential rules and regulations here: